Young Adult Fellowship
Welcome to First Presbyterian Church!
We are “Scratch,” the young adult Community at First Presbyterian Church that attempts to “scratch” our faith itch for Christian community by sharing life together and encouraging one another to BE the church we want to see in the world. (“Scratch” is also the name of the downtown Durham bakery where we first started meeting, and we still gather from time to time!) We enjoy gathering casually for monthly potluck brunches/dinners and other fun activities. We also meet on Sunday mornings during the Sunday School hour to learn more about the faith we have. (We pick topics at our annual afternoon retreat in January).
In the past year, we’ve:
- Hiked Occoneechee Mountain in Hillsborough
- Led the Vespers Service at our All-Church Gathering at Camp New Hope
- Read Laura Winner’s book, “Wearing God,” and met the author for an informal discussion
- Shared delicious food over potlucks at each other’s homes
- Volunteered at the Florence Forth Road Race in Durham
- Gathered after work at Parker and Otis for informal fellowship
- Continued to grow more involved in the life of the church. From singing in the choir to ringing bells to helping with youth group to serving as Elders and Deacons, we are excited about our impact on the future of the church.
The Rev. John Weicher provides leadership for our group. It takes something like 28 hours together to begin to feel like a relationship is established. In other words, community doesn’t happen overnight! Christian community takes commitment. The ancient desert fathers and mothers say, “If you gain your sister or brother, you gain God.” If any of this speaks to you or if you want to learn more about who we are, what we do, or what we believe, please send an email to our Scratch Leader, Jenna Kneepken at [email protected] or Rev. John Weicher.
To receive emails about what’s going on with Scratch link to our Google listserv.